History

Faculty of Science

The Faculty of Science of Kanazawa University was established by integrating the Fourth High School and Kanazawa Higher Teachers School in 1949, when the university was set up in accordance with the Act for the Establishment of National Schools. The history of the Faculty is as follows:

May 1949 The Faculty of Science was established. (In the building of the Fourth High School at 2-chome, Hirosaka, Kanazawa City)
April 1954 The Specialized Courses of Science (five courses) were set up.
April 1957 The Marine Laboratory was established at Mu 4-1, Ogi, Noto Town, Fugeshi-gun, Ishikawa)
April 1963 The Graduate School of Science was established (five master’s level courses), and the specialized courses were abolished.
May 1964 A new school building was constructed in the castle area.
April 1975 The Low-level Radioactivity Laboratory was established. (Waki Town, Nomi City)
April 1986 The Material Science Course (doctoral level) was established in the graduate school.
April 1987 The Graduate School of Natural Science (doctoral level) was established, and the Material Science Course (doctoral level) was abolished.
September 1992 New buildings were constructed on the Kakuma Campus.
April 1996 The Faculty was reorganized into the integrated course system. The Department of Computational Science was established in the Faculty.
April 1997 The Graduate School of Natural Science (doctoral level) was reorganized (master’s level section was established), and the Graduate School of Science (master’s level) stopped recruiting new students.
April 1998 The Graduate School of Natural Science was reorganized, and the doctoral level section of the Material Science Course was reorganized into the Material Structural Science Course.
April 2002 The Institute of Nature and Environmental Technology was established, integrating the Marine Laboratory and the Low-level Radioactivity Laboratory.
March 2004 The Department of Biology moved to Natural Science Building No.1.
April 2004 The Graduate School of Natural Science was reorganized, and the faculty members became affiliated with the graduate school. (While belonging to the Faculty)
The master’s level section and the doctoral level section were reorganized, and two courses were added to the master’s level section.
March 2005 The Department of Earth Sciences moved to Natural Science Building No.2.
April 2008 College of Science and Engineering was established.


Faculty of Engineering

The history of the Faculty of Engineering dates back to 1920, when Kanazawa Engineering School was established. The name was later changed to Kanazawa College of Technology, and the school was integrated into Kanazawa University when the latter was established in accordance with the Act for the Establishment of National Schools, becoming the Faculty of Engineering of Kanazawa University. The history of the Faculty thereafter is as follows:

May 1949 The Departments of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Systems Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, Chemical Systems Engineering, and Electrical and Electronic Engineering were established.
March 1951 Kanazawa College of Technology was abolished.
April 1954 The Specialized Courses of Engineering and industrial teacher training were established.
April 1965 The Specialized Course of Engineering was abolished, and the Graduate School of Engineering was established.
April 1978 The Composite Material Application Research Center, a common facility of the university, was set up in the faculty building.
April 1982 The Electrical Energy Conversion Laboratory was established with a limited term of 10 years.
April 1985 The Composite Material Application Research Center was abolished, and the Material Development Laboratory was established in its place.
April 1987 The Graduate School of Natural Science was established, and the doctoral level sections of Material Science, Life Science, and System Science were set up.
April 1988 The common lectures were reorganized into the integrated courses.
March 1992 The Electrical Energy Conversion Laboratory was abolished.
April 1992 The Laboratory of Magnetic Field Control and Applications was established with a limited term of 10 years.
April 1997 The Graduate School of Natural Science was reorganized, and the Graduate School of Engineering was included in it as a master’s level section.
March 1998 The Graduate School of Engineering was abolished.
March 2002 The Laboratory of Magnetic Field Control and Applications was abolished.
March 2002 The Institute of Nature and Environmental Technology was established.
April 2003 The engineer training programs of the Departments of Civil Engineering and Mechanical Systems Engineering were accredited by the Japan Accreditation Board for Engineering Education (JABEE) as programs that have reached the levels expected by society.
April 2004 The Graduate School of Natural Science was reorganized, and the faculty members became affiliated with the graduate school. (While belonging to the Faculty)
2005~2007 The faculty moved to new buildings on the Kakuma South Campus.
April 2008 The College of Science and Engineering was established.
ページのトップへ